Our aim is to create innovative medicines
- Following the introduction of therapies that can successfully cure HCV, a major challenge that remains is to find a cure for HBV.
- Treatment with nucleos(t)ide analogues only addresses the symptoms of HBV.
- Inhibition of the reverse transcription responsible for replication of the virus dose not eradicate the HBV-cccDNA that remains in infected hepatocytes.
- This project will identify the host genes responsible for maintaining HBV in infected cells.
- With the support of the Japanese government agency AMED, we are designing inhibitors that aim to eradicate HBV-cccDNA.
- A major hurdle is elucidating the mechanism of action of these treatments.